Monday, August 17, 2009

The Mountains Brought Us Peace



There is this little sign hidden amongst the camp grounds of Pilgrim Pines in Yucaipa, California that reads "The mountains shall bring peace to the people". Its a little sign that I look forward to finding every time i come up for LDC each summer. LDC (Leadership Development Center) is a leadership camp that I attended as a camper in 2002 and have been a counselor since 2003 (with the exception of last year). Despite it being my seventh year returning back to LDC, that feeling of nostalgia every time i step back onto the camp grounds still resonates through out my body as strong as ever. I grew up in these woods, starting camp as a naive, quiet, and shy 14 year old and now I help run the camp seven years later. Who would have known how my life would have progressed with out this camp. Along with the many aspects of leadership I learned from this camp, I have gained memories and more importantly some life long friends.


Some of the staffers decided to make some changes to the particular sign. They posted up a sign on top of it that read "The mountains brought peace to us" and i believe that holds true. Amongst the crazyness and stress of life that surrounds me, I look forward to spending a week up in the mountains that takes me away from it all; To come back to these mountains and feel that LDC magic i have felt so many times before. From the first night with the staff, to the challenge of the clans, the hike, campfire, talent show, cabin time, sessions, Craft Lodge, speakeasies, banquet, dance, string tying, and all the moments in between, your heart, mind and soul gets wrapped up this special camp. it helps that there is no reception on your cell phone either.

It's interesting now to think that im one of the "oldies" here at camp. Its true, I have been around camp longer than most of the staffers here. I was actually talking to this about Albert Heng. The satisfaction I got out of camp this year was different than past. I think, when i was younger, after coming back from camp, my joy and happiness came from me meeting new friends, having a direct on the delegates and enjoying my won experience, but now its different. My satisfaction is being able to give back and be able to offer that experience to the younger staffers and delegates. I want to be able to inspire future generations of LDC staffers so that if the time comes for me to be an LDC alum, i know that the future of LDC will be in good hands. After this camp, I have no doubt that will happen. My oldie staff said that to me back when I first started as a staffer, and now I can say that to the newbie staffers and delegates this year. Amazing. The staffers and delegates were the ones that truly made my camp and I want to thank for being so open minded and embracing the LDC magic.

As for my future in LDC...i can't say yet. i would love to come back again, but as uncertain how life can be, I can't say for sure. But i know despite anything, the memories and friendships of LDC will always be with me. To finish off this note with a quote quote that has been with me through out my history of LDC.

"LDC. For those who haven't experienced it, no explanation is possible. For those who have, no explanation is necessary".

Heres to LDC 2009: Cirque du So-Lead

Shout outs to:
HDKLNC forever.
LDC soulmate
Nick Ngoc
Christian Bale-mhurst
my clan advisors
Elizabeth and James Han
and the beautiful delegates that touched my heart.

3 comments:

omabu said...

very nice!

we could all use a little mountains in the summer...

omabu.blogspot.com
-latest

SuJ said...

you do amazing things, my friend

s d v said...

ditto to what both the above gentlemen said..

a-ma-ZING-- changing lives, no matter where or what program :]